Island Historic Park Foundation is a 501(c)(3) Publicly Supported Organization
established in 1995. Our Mission is to preserve and present to the public
the history of the West's first Naval Base and Shipyard.
David Glasgow Farragut founded the Mare Island Shipyard in 1854, and the Navy
closed the yard in 1996. During that period, over 500 ships, including nuclear
submarines, were built at Mare Island Naval Shipyard.
The Foundation cares for four of the most historic buildings in Mare Island's
National Historic Landmark District:
St. Peter's Chapel (built 1901) - renowned for the beautiful Tiffany
designed stained glass windows
Quarters "A" (built 1900) - Largest (10,500 sq. ft.) of the 13 colonial
Quarters "B" - A mansion of 7400 sq. ft also called the "Captain's
Building 46 (built 1855) - Originally a smithery, then the pipe shop,
now the Artifacts Museum
Another part of the Mission is to create ship museum displays. We are currently
conducting a major effort to acquire the USS
OLYMPIA; the MIHPF is caretaker for the sail of SSBN
658 Mariano G. Vallejo in its move to a permanent display on Mare Island;
and USS LCS-102 is now
at the Mare Island Waterfront. See Ships page for more information.
For information about holding weddings and other events at the Properties
- CLICK! on the navigation links to the left or the Quick Links
at the top of the page. You can also use the Quick Links
to access updated NEWS about our various programs and scheduled events.
Tour reservations: 707/644-4746 or 707/280-5742 Weddings and Special Events:
Directions / Map to Museum - CLICK! Here